This is a special order item and may take 7-14 business days to ship.
Can ferment up to 25% alcohol. From England.
Optimum Ferm. Temp: 69-74
PurePitch™ for Homebrewers
- Breathable and allows CO2 to escape. Reduced chance of gas build-up! This packaging will maintain the yeast in a more stress-free state.
- Packaging is recyclable and is also made from recycled material.
- Color coding to make finding the strain you want easy!
- Instructions specific to each product type.
- White Labs is committed to sustainability. The FlexCell process and PurePitch packaging reduces their use of water, electricity and cleaners used to sanitize vessels during the production process, and their overall use of plastic.
- Pure Pitch Fact Sheet
Please note that White Labs is in the process of switching over to the Pure Pitch packaging and you may still receive occasional yeast purchases in vial form.
Flavors from this yeast vary greatly with the beer produced. The higher the gravity, the more winey the result. Beers over 16% ABV begin to taste less like beer, and more like fortified wines. With low gravity beers, this yeast produces a nice, subtle English ale-like ester profile.As the gravity increases, some phenolic character is evident, followed by the winey-ness of beers over 16% ABV. Most fermentations will stop between 12-16% ABV unless these high gravity tips are performed:
- Aerate very heavily, 4 times as much as with a normal gravity beer. Less oxygen dissolves into solution at high gravity.
- Pitch 3-4 times as much yeast as normal.
- Consider aerating intermittently during the first 5 days of fermentation. This will help yeast cells during a very difficult fermentation. Aerate with oxygen for 30 seconds or air for 5-10 minutes.
- Higher nutrient levels can allow yeast to tolerate higher alcohol levels. Use 2 times the normal nutrient level. This is especially important when using WLP099 to make wine and mead, which have almost no nutrient level to begin with.
- Do not start with the entire wort sugar at once. Begin fermentation with a wort that would produce a 6-8% beer, and add wort (it can be concentrated) each day during the first 5 days. This can be done together with aeration. This is mandatory if the reported 25% ABV is to be achieved.
Please note: It is highly recommended that a cold pack be purchased when ordering liquid yeast. High Gravity cannot guarantee the viability of liquid yeast if it fails to work unless it was purchased with a cold pack. You can add it to the order by checking the cold pack box near the bottom of the page before adding the yeast to the cart.