Activator™ Product Information and Usage
Activator™ packages contain a minimum of 100 billion live yeast cells
in a liquid slurry. This yeast slurry is packaged in an optimum condition for storage, while maintaining the ability for rapid and complete fermentation. The reliable cell count of all Wyeast yeast ensures that you are pitching the same amount of yeast every time while avoiding the issues that arise with over- and under-pitching.
One Activator™ package is designed for direct inoculation of 5 gallons (19 L) of standard gravity ale wort
- the same pitch rate used by professional brewers. For lagers, Wyeast recommends inoculating the wort at warm temperatures (65-72 °F, 18-22 °C), waiting for signs of fermentation, and then adjusting to the desired temperature. Alternatively, for pitching into cold conditions (34-58 °F, 1-14 °C) or higher gravity wort, they recommend increasing this pitching rate. This can be achieved by pitching additional Activator™ packages or by making a starter culture. For additional gravity, temperature, and style pitch rate recommendations, visit Wyeast's PITCH RATES page
Instructions for the proper use of Activator™ packages:
- Remove Activator from refrigeration (34-40 °F, 1-4 °C) and allow to come to room temperature just prior to use.
- To activate, locate and move the inner pouch to a corner. Place this area in palm of one hand and firmly smack the package with the other hand to break the inner nutrient pouch. Confirm the inner pouch is broken. If you do not require proof of activity, proceed to the 5th step and Direct Pitch. Contents of inner pouch do not need to be transferred to your wort when not Activated.
- Shake the package well to release the nutrients.
- Allow the package to swell for 3-5 hours or more (it is not necessary for this package to fully swell before use) at ambient temperature (approx. 70 °F, 21 °C).
- Use sanitizing solution to sanitize the package before opening.
- Shake well, open and pour the Activator™ into 5 gallons (19 L) of well-aerated or oxygenated wort up to 1.060 OG at 65-72 °F (18-22 °C). Maintain temperature until fermentation is evident by CO₂ bubble formation, bubbling airlock, or foaming on top of wort. For high gravity or low temperature fermentations, additional yeast may be required.
- Adjust to desired fermentation temperature.
Sterile Packaged Product – UV Light Barrier – Guaranteed Keep Refrigerated. Do not freeze.
Best if Used by:
This package performs best when used by the Best if Used By date
when stored between 34-40 °F (1-4 °C). Older yeast or yeast that has been exposed to higher or lower temperatures may take longer to become active or swell.
Our Product Warranty states that we guarantee the viability of the yeast in our Activator™ packages for a minimum of 6 months assuming that they have been properly shipped, stored and handled. Our superior packaging material provides 100% oxygen barrier and UV light protection making this exceptional guarantee possible. During the shelf life, some loss of viability is to be expected. This will vary from one strain to another. Activator™ packages that are within 2 months of the Best if Used By date may require additional time to swell after activation.
Wyeast does not recommend using viability calculation tools to estimate pitching or starter volumes. These tools were not developed with Wyeast and do not accurately reflect the quality of our products.
Activator™ packages will sometimes swell slightly to moderately during shipping, or later while properly stored. This is not an indication of deterioration if the package is within the Best if Used By date and has been properly handled. This is result of trace amounts of nutrients still available at the time packaging, and causes a small amount of culture activity and CO₂ production. Some strains are more prone to this than others.
We think you’ll agree our unique "Smack Pack” is preferable to all other liquid yeast packaging options to assure the success of your fermentations.