This is a special order item and may take 7-14 business days to ship.WLP862 Cry Havoc
This signature strain, from
, has the ability to ferment at both ale and lager temperatures allowing the brewer to produce diverse beer styles. The recipes in both Papazian's books, The Complete Joy of Homebrewing
and The Homebrewers Companion,
were originally developed and brewed with this yeast. Papazian had "Cry Havoc" in his yeast stable since 1983.
When fermented at ale temperatures, the yeast produces fruity esters reminiscent of berries and apples. Hop character comes through well with hop accented beers. Diacetyl production will be very low when proper fermentation techniques are used.
When fermented at lager temperatures, esters are low in high gravity beers and negligible in other beers. Pleasant baked bread-like yeast aroma is often perceived in malt accented lagers. Slightly extended fermentation times may be experienced compared to other lagers. Some fermentation circumstances may produce sulfur aroma compounds, but these will usually dissipate with time. Good yeast for bottle conditioning.
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 68-74°F
Optimum Cellaring Temperature: 50-55°F
+ Alt beers can be cellared at lagering temperatures
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 55-58°F
Optimum Lagering Temperature: 32-37°F
PurePitch™ for Homebrewers
- Breathable and allows CO2 to escape. Reduced chance of gas build-up! This packaging will maintain the yeast in a more stress-free state.
- Packaging is recyclable and is also made from recycled material.
- Color coding to make finding the strain you want easy!
- Instructions specific to each product type.
- White Labs is committed to sustainability. The FlexCell process and PurePitch packaging reduces their use of water, electricity and cleaners used to sanitize vessels during the production process, and their overall use of plastic.
- Pure Pitch Fact Sheet
Please note that White Labs is in the process of switching over to the Pure Pitch packaging and you may still receive occasional yeast purchases in vial form.
Please note: It is highly recommended that a cold pack be purchased when ordering liquid yeast. High Gravity cannot guarantee the viability of liquid yeast if it fails to work unless it was purchased with a cold pack. You can add it to the order by checking the cold pack box near the bottom of the page before adding the yeast to the cart.